We work as infectious diseases consultants at the orthopedic University Hospital Balgrist Zürich. In a great collaboration with colleagues of internal medicine, orthopedic surgeons, and microbiologists, we give advices for optimal antimicrobial treatment in patients with orthopedic implant-associated joint infections and osteomyelitis. Through clinical collaboration, many scientific questions many questions arise, which we retrospectively and prospectively investigate. We make studies on epidemiology, pathogenesis, diagnostics, treatment and outcome of orthopedic infections.
In particular, we pursue the following specific aims:
- Monitoring and improving the existing diagnosis of orthopedic infections.
- Evaluation of new diagnostic methods.Retrospective and prospective analysis of applied treatments (antibiotics, surgical procedures) with focus on long-term course of the infection and detection of antibiotic side effects.
- Prevention of orthopedic infections with focus on improving preoperative skin preparation.
08/2018 (ongoing) Clinical and microbiological study: Association between clinical and microbiological characteristics and treatment outcome in Cutibacterium sp. periprosthetic joint infection (PJI) – a multicenter study in Europe (PI: Y. Achermann, Co-PI: J. Esteban, supported by the European Society of Clinical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases)
10/2018 (ongoing) Clinical and microbiological study: Optimal skin antisepsis to reduce Cutibacterium avidum colonization as a risk factor for periprosthetic joint infections (PI: Y. Achermann, Swiss Life Jubiläumsstiftung funding)
01/2018 (ongoing) Clinical study: Retrospective Multicentre Study on Characteristics of Deep Spinal Implant Infections in Adult Patients Treated with Implant Retention (PI: T. Kramer, Local PI in Zurich: Y. Achermann, supported by the European Society of Clinical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases)
09/2017 (ongoing) Clinical study: Prospective observational cohort study on periprosthetic joint infections (PI: P. Zingg and Y. Achermann)
- Prof. Dr. med. Mazda Farshad, Universitätsklinik Balgrist, Zurich, Switzerland
- Prof. Dr. med. Reinhard Zbinden, Institut für Medizinische Mikrobiologie, Zurich, Switzerland
PD Dr. med. Yvonne Achermann
Division of Infectious Diseases and Hospital Epidemiology
University Hospital Zurich